Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Need Support? Time to Reach Out!


Scientists have found that people who have a strong support network can improve their overall health. People who suffer from a chronic illness like Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) can build their own support networks to include family members, *close friends, coworkers, and health care providers.

Having a wide support group will help ensure you get the emotional, social, spiritual, and physical support you need to better manage your condition.
Unless we let others know what we're dealing with on a daily or weekly basis they won't understand our limitations. We can't sit back and suffer in silence. Speak up and ask for the help you need.
Here are a few examples of how to do this.
Involve your family members in decisions about chores around the house. If you have older children at home teach them how to do simple tasks, such as doing laundry or vacuuming. As an added bonus, children will benefit from knowing they are helping and become self-confident and learn compassion.
Educate friends and coworkers about your chronic illness. If they understand how the condition affects your life they are more likely to be supportive when you need to postpone plans or need help.

The people in our lives who care about us want to know how they can help, but we must learn to reach out to them.

"Good Health To You"

*Photographer - Harley Winborn
Harley is a friend who suffers a chronic illness yet he reaches out to others with cheer and support in spite of his personal battle.
He brightens my day often with email or gifts like the Photo used for this post. Thank you Harley!

© Copyright 2010 Sandy Guerriere. All Rights Reserved.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sandy,
Like rust my diabetes never sleeps. Its assault on my eyes, my nervous system and major organs is relentless.
Therefore, reading your link, your story, your resourcefulness and your courage are an inspiration...maybe a moment of epiphany, in a broad context, for me and probably all who read it.
Your triumph and ingenuity are a model and metaphor for all who battle the darker side of the human condition.
For your Mediterranean magic, I thank you.
Tom
Montreal

smurfettLz said...

My name is Elizabeth and I have had Polly Articular JuvinialR humitoid Arthritis since i was 9 i now am 26 and was wanting to be able to conect with others like me via email or a chat room please let me know

Anonymous said...

This is so true. The only problem is that sometimes our pride/desire to protect our loved ones from the truth/not wanting to be the downer gets in the way. I just posted about a tough situation I got myself into on my blog. Thanks for reminding us to reach out instead of withdrawing into ourselves. xo robin

Sandy said...

Dear Readers;

Thank you for the great comments on this post.

Reaching out can be difficult; it exposes our vulnerable side and sometimes pride gets in the way. We never want to isolate ourselves from the people who care about us.
Reach out, be courageous and ask for the help you need.

"Good Health to You"

Anonymous said...

I NEED HELP!!

Food tastes so AWFUL - even foods I have previously enjoyed - that I take NO pleasure in eating and have to force myself. I have lost 25 pounds since Oct.. Many foods taste too spicy, texture is awful, too.

I have started taking Zinc lozenges which is supposed to help with dry mouth.

HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED THIS? Could it be from the Orencia? The RA? I thought it was from a sinus infection, but that cleared up and this still remains. I am getting DESPERATE!! Not taking MTX - just Orencia.

The good news is that my RA is in remission from the orencia...

I have tested negative for Sjogrens and fibro.

azuankota said...

CLICK HERE >>Blog Medication for Arthritis
Arthritis-your complete exercise guide. You can fight back against Arthritis. This blog provides you with a safe and sensible exercise programs that will help you reduce the adverse effects of arthritis and improve your overall fitness. Arthritis patient will find this blog to be invaluable. This blog target flexibility, strength, and aerobic activities most beneficial to people with arthritis.

CLICK HERE >>Blog Medication for Arthritis
http://medications-for-arthritis.blogspot.com